I totally punked this off allrecipes.com. That recipe roulette thing is genius! Becca helped me make it. Thanks Becca! I've added my own comments to the recipe in green.
· 1 (3 pound) whole chicken I used chicken quarters instead because that's what was in the freezer.. Nothing exploded.
· 4 medium red potatoes, peeled and quartered The Hastey Mart only had regular potatoes. Also, I'm pretty sure we used WAY more than 4. Again, no explosions.
· 6 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces Or, you know, a whole bunch of baby carrots.
· 2/3 cup honey
· 1/3 cup Dijon mustard (That jar was hard to open. Next time, squeeze bottle.)
· 3 tablespoons butter
· 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
· 2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
· 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
· 1/4 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
· 12 whole fresh mushrooms (I used 13, that was what was in the package)
· 2 apples, cored and quartered (optional) I opted for the apples, but next time I might leave them out, or at least cut them smaller. It's totally weird to bite into an apple when you're expecting a potato.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Place the chicken breast side down on a rack in a roasting pan (check the drawer under your stove, that's where the pan that comes with the stove is!) and roast 1 hour in the preheated oven. I did indeed roast the chicken quarters for an hour. Right from frozen. If you defrost the chicken quarters first, I'm guessing they'll need less time then a whole chicken.
3. Place the potatoes and carrots in a pot with enough water to cover, and bring to a boil. Cook 20 minutes, or until tender. Just boil those suckers until they're nice and squishy
4. In a saucepan, mix the honey, mustard, butter, onion, curry powder, salt, cayenne pepper, ginger, and garlic. (I was slightly liberal on the measurements of the spices. I'm not buying a whole thing of ginger just for one freakin' teaspoon!) Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and set aside.
5. Drain the drippings from the roasting pan. Arrange the potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, and apples around the chicken. Drizzle the chicken and vegetables with the honey mixture. I don't know about "arranging" or "drizzling", I basically just dumped everything on top of the chicken and it worked. Continue roasting 20 minutes, or until the glaze has browned. The chicken meat should reach an internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C). It must have been 85 degrees inside the chicken because it tasted done and noone got food poisoning.